On leaving a domestic violent relationship, many victims find themselves in new relationships which are also abusive. This may be due to not giving themselves enough time to fully recover their self esteem and work through the various stages of grieving. Be cautious about new relationships, but remember not to let the experience of abuse get in the way of forming positive and trusting relationships.
Here are some tips to help you feel comfortable in a new relationship:
- Take the relationship slowly let it develop in a way you feel comfortable
- Be clear with your partner about what behaviour you will and will not accept
- Talk with your new partner about what you have experienced so they have an understanding of domestic violence and what you have been through
- Talk to your counsellor about the relationship, especially if you have any concerns
- Keep your financial affairs separate initially.